In effort to ensure that our students will be college and career ready we are preparing them with high quality instruction that will give them the skills necessary to be successful. Our Literacy Department is focusing their instruction on interpreting and analyzing reading through various text. Students are working on developing the skills to cite relevant evidence to support their claim in speaking and writing. In addition to your child reading stories and literature, they will read more texts that provide facts and background knowledge in areas including science and social studies. The text will be more challenging and they will be asked more questions that will require them to refer back to what they have read. Students will also be asked to perform tasks that may include writing and discussions with an emphasis on argument and informative styles. Activities in these areas will include:
- Analyzing how the form or structure of a play of poem contributes to the its meaning.
- Analyzing how particular elements of a story or play interact (Like how the setting shaped the characters or plot)
- Determine how the author develops and contrasts the point of view of different characters or narrators in a text.
- Conduct short research projects, drawing on several sources and identifying related questions for further research and investigation
- Engage in a range of classroom discussion on topics and texts expressing ideas clearly and building on the ideas of others
- Identifying the speakers argument and specific claims and evaluating the reasoning and evidence behind the claims.
- Interpreting figures of speech or references to literature or mythology in a text
- Writing for a range of purposes and audiences.